Ecology and ecosystem management
(1) develop and provide an integrated bioinformatics platform to explore the marine microbiome potential;
(2) establish innovative culturomics and high-throughput screening platforms to experimentally exploit consortia of marine microbes;
(3) apply the platforms to identify and develop natural products derived from marine microbes;
(4) foster aquaculture and ecosystem services that embody the “do no significant harm” principle;
(5) maximise equitable access to ocean microbiome resources and increase awareness of the marine microbiome to a diverse range of stakeholders;
(6) Provide training, tools and resources to a variety of stakeholders. To achieve these objectives, BlueRemediomics interlinks an advanced “Discovery Platform” with “Applications”, so designed to facilitate cyclical and iterative crosstalk. By federating multiple, currently fragmented key data resources, the Discovery Platform will accelerate new product identification and development, reduce resource dependence, raise consumer benefits and address key societal issues. New modalities in access and benefit sharing will be established that balance sustainable and equitable use of marine genetic resources with intellectual property protection.