Ecology and ecosystem management
DTO-BioFlow will expand the sustainable flow of ocean biodiversity relevant datasets (on species, their habitats, their ecological interactions, and associated human activities impacts), by awakening “sleeping” biodiversity data, identifying new sources of data and enabling their sustainable integration into the EU DTO. To fully exploit the potential of these new and existing data flows, the project will develop the biological component, i.e., the digital version of marine ecological processes, bringing together data, models and new algorithms into the DTO supporting the development of policy-relevant tools and services for the monitoring and sustainable management of marine biodiversity and delivering to the objectives of the EU Mission “Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030” (Mission Ocean) in line with the EU Biodiversity Strategy 2030.
The proposed work aims to:
• Increase the flow of relevant biodiversity data by assessing opportunities and unlocking current barriers to assimilation and ingestion
• Develop the biodiversity digital component of the EU Digital Twin Ocean (DTO)
• Integrate biodiversity monitoring data into the architecture of the EU Digital Twin Ocean and ensure sustainable data flow after project-end
• Demonstrate the end-to-end approach for biodiversity monitoring based on the digital environment provided by EU DTO & data sources
• Establish mechanisms to monitor, measure progress and drive community action towards increasing biodiversity data flows into EU DTO by 2030.