Ecology and ecosystem management
This project was an EU Programme (DG XIV,1998-2002) aiming at developing new methodologies in order to provide direct quantitative measurements of the effects of bottom fishing gears on the benthic nutrient fluxes and sediment biogeochemistry. The following objectives were also part of this project:
• the study of BBL biodiversity by means of improved and modified innovative sampling gears
• the investigation and analyses of the physical and biogeochemical processes in relation to BBL biodiversity
• the development of new methodologies in order to provide direct quantitative measurements of the effects of bottom fishing gears on BBL environment
• the evaluation of the role of BBL biodiversity with respect to nutrient regeneration, carbon cycling and energy transfer to higher trophic levels
• to improve existing ecosystem models by highlighting new aspects in the interactions between demersal fish and benthos.